Did you know that of the 60% of people who make New Year’s resolutions, only 8% successfully implement them? (According to http://www.statisticbrain.com/new-years-resolution-statistics/. )
Why is that? If you make New Year’s resolutions, or other goals, how can you make this year different, and stick to your goals? These tips from leading psychologists and motivation experts will have you keeping your resolutions, and reaping the benefits, in no time.
- Commit fully to your goal. Make sure that it is something which YOU want to do, not something which you think you SHOULD do. You’ll only be motivated to put the hard work in if it’s something which you really want to do.
- Identify WHY you want to meet this goal. How will you feel when you have done it? What will it mean for you? How will meeting this goal change your life for the better?
- Define your goal in minute detail. Your goal needs to be very specific, so that you can really know when you get there. It also needs to be realistic. Make it enough of a stretch that it requires an effort, however not so much of a stretch that you feel like you will never be able to accomplish it.
- Develop an action plan of the steps you will need to get to your goal. Schedule those steps into your days and weeks, so that you always know what you need to do to reach your goal. Find trigger points in your day when you will fit these steps in.
- Write your goals and action plans down. You need to have something concrete you can refer to, to remind yourself of how, why and when you plan to achieve your goal. Make sure you include your WHY, from step 2.
- Use positive language when phrasing your goals and action plans. For example, rather than have a goal of “I’m going to stop being disorganised”, you could phrase it as “I write all my and my family’s activities in my diary, so I know where everyone is, and when I need to do things”.
- Visualise yourself achieving your goals. Picture it in your mind, using all your senses – sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste. The more real you can make it for yourself, the more likely you are to put the effort it.
- Be accountable for your goals. Tell someone about them, and get them to support you in your journey. Knowing that someone is checking up on you can be a powerful motivation to keep going.
- Revise and refine your goals and action plans as needed. Things may come up, which means that you have to change your action plan to meet your goal. Make sure you re-plan, rather than relinquish your goal all together. Take advantage of the work you have already done, and build on it to reach your goal.
- Congratulate yourself when you achieve your goals. When you make it, when you’ve achieved your goal, no matter how big or small it is, you’ve achieved something wonderful. Give yourself a very heartfelt congratulations. Maybe before you started this goal, you didn’t think you could make it. And you have. Well done!
Following these 10 steps helps you set realistic, measurable goals. When you know what your goals are, and the steps you will take to reach them, you are much more likely to actually get there.
For even more help with setting and reaching your goals, investigate the Ideal LifeVision program. Ideal LifeVision encapsulates all these goal setting principles. It even takes things multiple steps further. Ideal LifeVision uses elements from the universal laws of nature, neuro-lingistic programming and accelerated learning music to embed your goals in your subconscious, and make you more likely to take the actions to accomplish your goals. The program takes you through the process step by step, so that you can get your desired results, without having to have a deep understanding of the science behind the system. You can also take advantage of optional accountability coaching, to help keep you on track with your goals and actions.
Using the Ideal LifeVision program you are constantly reinforcing your goals, so you can see, feel and hear the changes you want to make. It gives you the best chance of sticking with your resolutions, and living the life you want.
Invest in the Ideal LifeVision program, make sure you put the effort in, and you can get there.
Have a Happy and goal-oriented New Year!